Friday 9 May 2014

Leather Satchels

Having worked on all this gear I discovered I have an affinity with leather. By day I am a cabinet maker using wood and sheet material to produce boxes in the construction of kitchens and cabinets. A leather bag has many similarities being made of a sheet material and being formed to a box shape for storage. Unlike a wooden cabinet I can make a satchel in relatively few hours and without noisy power tools. Finish applied is minimal and there is no installation required.

My first satchel was made to house an iPad and a binder. I couldn't find a military bag in my collection to suit the job so making something was an obvious decision. 


very soon found that I wanted more space  for a wallet and a lunch. Thus I created style 2 


Both of these satchels have developed a rich colour from exposure to the sun.

Then I went one step further and tried for a back pack based on style 2. I extended the length with a 6"X6"X14" add-on "box" and worked out a strapping system with the two shoulder straps.

It looks like this.


I realize I have fallen into that Victorian trap of over-complication. I'd be in good company with Dr. Oliver. You have to like buckles to like this back pack, but it does work. It is actually comfortable and looks like dynamite. These satchels and their off shoots pick up on the military style, but they also have a hint of Tintin. Clearly the fascinations of my youth are playing themselves out now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home